Ideas to Help
Not only do we want to reach others who have had similar losses, but also we want to reach people who have been blessed and have no idea of the pain of losing a much-wanted pregnancy or child. We want them to understand that we have lost our unborn and our infant children, and we grieve on a daily basis. We want them to allow us this time to grieve and to remember. We would also like them to grieve with us, at least on this one particular day of the year.
Here is a list of ways to participate in giving awareness and remembrance to our children. Contact your family and friends. Have them participate as well.
Ideas for all of the Month of October
- Tying pink or blue ribbons around trees in yards, neighborhoods, and parks.
- Place signs and banners in your yard, neighborhoods, and parks.
- Contact your local radio stations and television news stations to have them announce that October is Pregnancy and Infant Loss Awareness Month.
- Write an article and submit it to your local newspapers.
- Sponsor flowers in memory of your baby in a church service or hospital.
- Have a t-shirt made that says I have an Angel, and have your child’s name put on it.
Ideas for October 15th
- Light candles and display them in your windows.
- Contact local Radio and News stations and have them announce that it is October 15th, Pregnancy and Infant Loss Remembrance Day.
- Drive with your headlights on. Also, ask that radio and news stations announce this as well.
- Leave your porch lights on. Have radio and news stations announce this as well.
- Release butterflies (Can be expensive, but is very beautiful, Use a search engine such as yahoo and type in butterfly release)
- Release Doves (You can rent doves that are trained to fly back to the owner)
- Sponsor a candle lighting ceremony in a park, church, or local hospital.
- Send off a pink or blue balloon with your Angel’s name and/or picture. (Warning Please: If you do this, only send one balloon per child. This is very dangerous for birds and wildlife. The animals can eat the remnants of a balloon and die) (As beautiful and wonderful as it is, I can’t personally recommend it due to my love for animals)
Article Written by: Robyn Bear
Quotes by: Clair Baca
Ideas by: Robyn Bear, Lisa Brown, and Tammy Novak